Problem statement/pain points:
When creating a new scenario via duplicating an existing one manually (not using Python code), there appear to be currently two ways to make a change to input data in a table of the new scenario:
1) change data directly in the corresponding table of “Input Data” under “Select Data”. However, these changes are limited to editing existing rows and columns, i.e. columns/rows can't be added/deleted
2) delete the corresponding “Input Data” table (under “Select Data”), and import a new one using an updated .csv file
#2 is not transparent to the user. Given that it is possible to do a lazy copy of the original scenario data by making changes using #1, it is natural for a user to assume that they can upload a new version of the same .csv file to the data panel, import it in the new scenario and NOT have the original scenario data changed.
- Download mytable.csv data (used in the original scenario)
- Make updates to mytable.csv
- Rename mytable.csv to mytable1.csv
- Upload mytable1.csv in the data panel
- “Import to Scenario” from the Data Panel using mytable1.csv
- Rename “mytable1” table to “mytable” in “Input Data” of the new scenario
- Repeat the process for each table that needs to be changed
- Once data is imported into a scenario, do not keep a reference to the original .csv.
- If a table needs to be updated from .csv, require another “Import to Scenario” from the new updated .csv
(At the very least there needs to be a warning to the user when they upload a .csv with an existing name to the Data Panel, that a number of existing scenarios are being automatically updated)
- Avoid confusion and possible loss of data due to user misunderstanding of where scenario data is copied by reference to a .csv and where it is a lazy copy (changing values directly in “Input Data” tables)
# of users impacted/ how often impacted
- All users who wish to manually change/duplicate/create new scenarios using the Data Panel instead of Python
Real Scenario + Problem Statement
|Who would benefit from this IDEA?|
How should it work?
|Geo - Use for OBDR Reporting only|
Why is it useful?
NOTICE TO EU RESIDENTS: per EU Data Protection Policy, if you wish to remove your personal information from the IBM ideas portal, please login to the ideas portal using your previously registered information then change your email to "email@example.com" and first name to "anonymous" and last name to "anonymous". This will ensure that IBM will not send any emails to you about all idea submissions